Best Search Tool:
For Mac user: Use search box on this page (above) to locate page where your broad New Testament search topic is found (e.g. for a comment on Romans 1:11, first just use search box entry for ‘Romans’, which will allow you to move among results to the Romans section of the Commentary pages). Select the best of the search results and click on ‘Continue Reading’. (Or for e.g. a Romans search, you can just follow the links below from this main New Testament Commentary page, first to Notes on the Epistles, then to Romans).
Then, when on the chosen section of the Commentary (e.g. Romans), press Cmd+F keys, which will bring up a new small search box in top right corner of the webpage. Enter your specific search query there (e.g. ‘Rom.1:11’) and it will show you, in turn, all places in the page where the search entry is found.
For Windows users, substitute Ctrl+F keys.
This works similarly for iPad users (using the Find on Page tool).
(Android does not yet appear to be programmed to enable this function using punctuation in Bible reference abbreviations.)
Bible references should be sought using the abbreviations in the table below, e.g. for Romans 1 verse 11, use ‘Rom.1:11’.
Notes on the Gospels
(based on work by C.M. Luxmoore)
• Organized thematically with emphasis on establishing sequencing of events and key messages.
Notes on the Acts
Currently being compiled
Notes on the Epistles
(based on Notes authored by J. Miller)
• Verse by verse commentary, with brief introductions to the letters. The English Revised Version was used by the authors and is frequently quoted throughout.
1. All references have been conformed to a common format provided below. Therefore, comments on any particular passage can be found by searching for the respective reference.
2. Readers will appreciate that these notes were originally published in the twentieth century, some as early as 1927. Views expressed by the authors sometimes reflect the thinking of the day, and world conditions prevailing at the time of writing. Principles taught are enduring, although some of the commentary will inevitably be dated, and to a 2023 reader even perhaps a little offensive at times, when views are expressed about doctrinal error in different branches of so-called “Christianity” at the time of the original statements.
3. Page numbering from original hard copy has been retained.
Note: Shortened names usually end with a period; un-abbreviated names do not.
|I Samuel||1 Sam.|
|II Samuel||2 Sam.|
|I Kings||1 Kgs.|
|II Kings||2 Kgs.|
|I Chronicles||1 Chron.|
|II Chronicles||2 Chron.|
|Song of Songs||Songs|
|I Corinthians||1 Cor.|
|II Corinthians||2 Cor.|
|I Thessalonians||1 Thess.|
|II Thessalonians||2 Thess.|
|I Timothy||1 Tim.|
|II Timothy||2 Tim.|
|I Peter||1 Pet.|
|II Peter||2 Pet.|
|I John||1 Jn|
|II John||2 Jn|
|III John||3 Jn|
For additional commentary on passages in New Testament books, you can check the Churches of God website to see what was written about them in Bible Studies magazine https://churchesofgod.info/publications/bible-studies-archive/ . Here is a list of the books and the annual volume in which they were covered:
“The Gospel According to Matthew” 1946
“Matthew [Part 1)” 1996
“Matthew (Part 2)” 1997
“Matthew (Part 3)” 1998
“The Gospel Narrative of Mark” 1925
“The Gospel According to Luke” 1961
“The Gospel of Luke 1-12” 2016
“The Gospel of Luke 13-24” 2018
“John [Part 1)” 2006
“John [Part 2)” 2008
“The Gospel According to John” 1955
“The Gospel According to John – Chapters 1 to 11” 1967
“The Gospel According to John – Chapters 12 to 21” 1968
“The Gospel According to John” 1928
“The Acts of the Apostles” 1931
“New Beginnings in the New Dispensation (Acts 1-11)” 1970
“Romans (Part 1)” 1986
“Romans (Part 2)” 1987
“The Letter to the Romans” 1927
“Paul’s First Letter to the Corinthians” 1948
“1 Corinthians” 1991
“2 Corinthians” 1992
“Paul’s Second Letter to the Corinthians” 1950
“The Epistle of Paul to the Galatians” 1953
“The Epistles to the Thessalonians” 1979
“The Pastoral Epistles” 1942
“1 Timothy” 2010
“Titus and Letters of Peter” 2012
“The Epistle to the Hebrews” 1926
“The Epistle to the Hebrews” 1957
“The Epistles of James, John and Jude” 1976
“The Letters of James and John” 2014
“The Epistles of Peter and Jude” 1951
“The Epistles by John” 1938
“Revelation 1-11:” 1972, 2020; 12-22: 2022
“Studies in Revelation” 1974